Saturday, January 1, 2011

Through Someone Else's Eyes

"We often have this idea of ourselves that is completely false until we're lucky enough to have someone shine new light and perspective upon us."
-Babers


From the outside looking in has always been a fascinating viewpoint to have.  I, along with millions of other people in this world, enjoy people watching.  For some of us, it's about being creative and making up stories of what the others are doing, saying, etc.  For others, it's simply the admiration of human life, and for some like me, it's all about the human interactions and trying to see beyond the outer shell of the person.  Perhaps, it's because I spend so much time hiding the person inside of me, that I try to see the same thing in others.  To see the real person in front of me, not just what they give me.

There will always be a false bravado in today's society, and perhaps that's for the best.  I know in my case, if my every thought, action, and seemingly down right self hatred moment escaped into the midst of my daily life, there would most likely be nothing left of what I consider to be my normal.  Far and few, have come to see the depths of who I am as a person, in honesty, some of those that would be considered closest, still have no idea as to who I am at my core.  Frankly, some days I don't even know who I am. 

However, last June, I become connected to someone from my past, who honestly, was never really a part of it.  That sure does sound confusing doesn't it?  Mainly, we're from the same small town, our mothers worked together briefly, and we shared some of the same friends, though we, ourselves were never much more than a face in the crowd to each other.  Over the last 6/7 months we've become closer than any other friendship I've had over the course of my lifetime.  Our commonalities, our backgrounds, and the hardships we've both faced in our lives has been truly remarkable in the sense of their pairing, almost as if they were from the same cloth.  I've never been more comfortable in my own skin, than when I'm sharing day to day basics or getting to the grimy underside of our pasts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment