Sunday, January 30, 2011

Beauty and The Beast Within

"Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart."
- Kahlil Gibran


I couldn't agree more with this quote.  Have you ever noticed a gorgeous man or a beautiful woman and thought to yourself, "Wow, he/she must be happy, have it all, etc." I know I have in the past, not so much anymore, but I guess you could say, I've grown up a bit and all of the fairy tale happy endings bullshit has come and gone.  Perhaps, I'm more of a pessimist? I don't think I am, maybe just more of a rationalist or realistic?

I know I've spent many years striving to be that "perfect" girl.  For years on end, I did this crazy combination of anorexia, bulimia, and way too much exercise.  I literally would go days without eating and then when I did, I ate only enough to satisfy me in that very moment and would make my way to the nearest restroom to get rid of the "excess."  If I woke up in the middle of the night with my stomach gnawing at me, I would force myself to repeat sets of a hundred crunches until I was again so exhausted I could sleep. 

I suppose when you're 12 and your father asks you "Is the hallway shrinking or is your ass just getting that much bigger?" It sticks with you.  Now, I don't blame my father, his sense of humor was very different.  Still no excuses, things like that made an impact, coupling it with not being "good enough" and the fact I was an early bloomer didn't help matters much I'm sure. 

I still to this day cannot go into a restroom shortly after a meal without an overwhelming sense of involuntary vomit.   I guess when you train yourself that's how its done for so long, you're body views it as the "right thing" for lack of better words.  I struggle everyday with trying to come to terms with my own body image, some days are better than others, and some days tear me apart, near breaking point I guess you could say. 

So lately I've been feeling the desire to drop a few pounds, tone up and slim down.  If you want to get technical, according to a BMI calculator, as a 24 year old who is 5'2" and 145 pounds, I am "overweight."  I don't care so much what the scale says, but I've not been feeling good about myself.  It's not so much about wanting to wear a bikini once again, that will probably never happen.  My stomach has been drastically changed since having my two kids.  Not sure that I'll ever be so confident to get into a bikini again.  All I really want, is to feel good in my everyday clothes.  Knowing they fit right, no muffin tops, not suctioned to my thighs, and well I don't want my arms to jiggle when I wave. 

I know it's not what is on the outside that matters, but what if I feel like the outside doesn't match who I am on the inside?  And with my past habits, I'm worried I'll slip back into the same habits and routines.  It's how many of these attempts in the past have failed, I saw the warning signs and I ran for cover, getting no where close to what my goals are.  I know it's a lifestyle change, but I'm just trying to find a lifestyle that works with the one I have and actually staying to the changes.  I'm not one of the lucky one's who's metabolism does all the work.  I know it's going to be difficult.  I know it's not going to be fun.  Now I just need to figure out how to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment