Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Love and Genetics

So, I tend to have random racing thoughts in my head any of which can be triggered by a commercial on tv, a song on the radio, or like in today's case, a picture in a magazine.  Now the picture it's self isn't really so important as what connection in my brain it made.  I like to imagine my brain is like an old school operator "Who can I connect you with today?"  but in rapid succession.

Anyway, the picture was of a very light skinned man, with light blonde hair, of which you could tell it had been dyed, but the connection was made anyway to an episode of MTV's True Life I had watched some time ago.  This particular episode was focused on teens/people living with albinism.  It was very educational and actual quite enjoyable to watch.  Check it out here.   Now, for whatever reason, thinking about this episode, I recalled a scene towards the end where one of the kids with albinism when to a function that was strictly towards people with albinism. 

No big deal, but yet again, my mind was off and running like wild fire.  And I couldn't help but think, how at ease these kids must have been to be with people who face the same struggle and how easy to relate to them it must be.  What a comfort.  Then my train of thought crossed the parental wires running through my brain, and got a little tripped up.  Not just regarding albinism, but all genetic "defects" I really hate the way that sounds.  Someone needs to come up with better terminology.  Anyway, now I know enough about genetics to understand carriers are people who have this genetic trait but do not posses the trait themselves and also that if two people are carriers and have children, there is a good chance their children will posses the trait as when joined the trait can become a dominant gene. 

So my thoughts were, if you knew both you and your spouse were carriers of a certain gene would you still have children?  At the same time, my heart screams at me, of course you would have children!  Who's to say you shouldn't?  and a whole slew of things at the moment, that to try and write them all down would take at least an hour.  Anyway, now let's flip this for a second, if you for example had albinism (not the gene, but actual albinism) would you opt to fall in love with someone who shares your experience or someone without albinism?  Knowing what you had gone through as a person dealing with it, would you feel as though it would be unfair to knowingly put a child through that? 

Forgive me for my ignorance on this, it's just I've asked myself the questions, and I'm torn.  What would I do?  I've got no idea.  On one hand, I'm entitled to fall in love with and have children with whom ever I choose.  Then on the other hand, I think of the kids, would I want to give them a rougher road than necessary if it could be prevented?  Now, I'm not saying all people who are born with a genetic defect live a rough or unhappy life by any means, I'm just thinking out loud here.  What would you do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment