Monday, January 17, 2011

Cashmere & Laughs

"As an adult I've found the reason why my mother and I disagreed so much in my childhood.  I'm a replica of her and now that I'm older and have those "I just sounded like my mother."  moments, I do not scoff, I take pride."
- Babers


My mother is my friend.  Well now that I'm older anyway.  For years in my childhood, we couldn't even be in the same room without some sort of argument occurring.  I am so much like my mother, the similarities in our personality, our sense of humor, our outlook on life, can be quite uncanny.  Sometimes I wish I would have seen the revelation sooner in life, though it didn't take too long, but I think of the years wasted between us.  Well, wasted is a harsh word, they were never wasted, but it certainly wasn't the happiest time for either of us.  After all, what mother and child would want to fight constantly?

Man was I a stubborn problem child.  Though in my defense, I am my mother's daughter.  She had a good chance of knowing what was to come from me.  Now, my mom is a constant driving force in my life.  I can honestly say, I am just like my mother, and you know what, it's not a bad thing.  I can only hope I have the same relationship with my own children as I have with my mom. 


Yesterday, we embarked on a clothes shopping trip amongst other things.  Let me be the first to say, I really don't care for clothes shopping.  I'm one of those short, fairly well busted girls who's got to try on every pair of jeans and every single top on to be sure they fit.  It's a long process.  While my mother on the hand is very tall and slender, smaller chest, but yes, my mother and I have clothes shopping issues.  I believe in one instance yesterday, we took 10 items into the dressing room only to come out with 3 items between us. 

Kohls is such a great place to shop.  Where else can you save $70 on a cashmere sweater?  I've yet to find such a shop.  One thing I love most about my mom, is the fact that the two of us can spend nearly 3 hours in the store, trying on a ton of clothes, including my mother getting into a jumper for sheer giggles, FYI: it would have made for a great UPS stripper costume!, and still be in such a good mood at the end of our nearly 7 hour excursion. 

I can honestly say, I'm blessed to have my mom as my friend.  Never would have seen it in the forecast when I was between 8-13 but I'm happy how things panned out.  I am a spitting image of my mother and I couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment