Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Too Little, Too Much, Trying To Find Just Enough

"Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow."
- Swedish Proverb


I've been known to worry too much and too little depending on the subject I'm concerned with.  So how do I find the middle ground, enough worry to be considered caring, but not too much to become fretful?  I tend to rely on what my heart and head to tell me, but what happens when the wires are crossed and you can't define the difference?  Of course worry comes naturally to me. 

How easily it is to cross the lines back and forth between too little and too much.  I seem to not even notice the middle ground.  Perhaps the lines are so close in only that of my mind?  Maybe, my worry level is just right and I'm worried that it's wrong?  I'm not certain about much, but what I am certain of, is that worries come and go, and some worries, just have a way of lingering so long and deep within me that they are no longer worries, simple bad memories, dreams, and fears that even I cannot escape. 

While I find worrying to be healthy in most cases, it can even inspire us to make a difference, in some cases, it can become quite destructive.  Better known as anxiety, normally brought upon by stress, which is usually caused by the first little inklings of worry.  Funny how it comes full circle.  Tonight though, I'm not to give into my worries, they are not of anxiety measures, simple concerns. 

How do I manage?  I block it out, force my idled mind to go into overdrive in the opposite direction.  My mind is a cruel place to be, but it is also one of the most pleasurable places to be, it just depends on the day.  The inner workings of me, seem to get along just fine from the outside, but I would be lying if I said there wasn't a dusty old box covered in blankets of cobwebs, hidden at the far back of the attic.  Once in a while, like we all do, I take out that box of memories and face some of my most frightening demons.  They stare back at me, with intent of harm written all over their faces.  I break, frantically fight to push the demons back into their places, throw the blanket over the box and get out as quickly as I can.  Sometimes I'm lucky, and they all remain locked securely in the attic, for only me to see, and sometimes, I'm not so lucky and a demon or two will haunt me for a day or a week.  While no one can see the demons, they are always there with me just locked in a box, for only me to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment