Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers Day Blues

Today is never an easy day for me. Father's Day. I miss him so much on days like this. I hate how badly it hurts to think he's not here and of all the things he's missed. So today I'll do what I do best and turn to my favorite coping mechanism; music. I'm going to list the top 5 songs that remind me of my father. 


#1) White Room, Cream

This song will always remind me of my father. Growing up we had started remodeling our home. In particular the living room. At one point all that we had on the walls was the texture matting which was white and black curtains as my father worked nights and slept during the day.  Being my father's daughter, I had picked up his taste in music and was quite familiar with this song. As a joke one day, my dad and I were working on cleaning up some of the excess spray in the living room and I started to sing "In the white room with black curtains..." Of course we both cracked up. And for the next few years it was often a joke we referred back to. When my father was in the last stages of his cancer he was so hopped up on morphine to control the pain that he wasn't really lucid. And every once in a while, he would just start singing this song and smile. 


  
#2) Holes in the Floor of Heaven, Steve Wariner

 This is the song I chose to have my "father/daughter" dance with at my wedding. I felt it was necessary to still pay tribute to my father on my "big day" and this was the best way I knew how.  And while I'm not certain if there is a heaven or hell, it's nice to think that he is watching over me. 


#3) The Greatest Man I Never Knew, Reba McIntire

Any time I hear this song, I immediately think of the relationship I had with my father. It was sometimes down right awful the way we could treat one another, but I guess that's just how the chips fell. I only hope that though we had our fair share of turbulence, the good outshines the bad. 

   
#4) Crimson and Clover, Joan Jett

This song in particular makes me think of my dad because the summer before the cancer took hold and took his life, my dad had some old friends visiting from out of town. One of the days they were there was a "party" of sorts. Nothing crazy, just some cards, quarters, and of course a few beverages. I remember my father going over to the stereo and turning up the volume on this song and starting to sing the ba da da da da's. Still makes me smile. 


#5) Hey Good Lookin, Hank Williams 

Lastly, this one is probably one of my favorite memories. I love to cook, my father knew this, so on days when he was actually home for breakfast or hell even if he had woken up at 2 pm, I'd know if I heard his out of tune, wrong pitch singing of Hey Good Lookin, he was looking from some breakfast. I still know just what I would make, two eggs over easy, four pieces of toast with butter, and as much bacon as we had in the cupboard. If only I could make this for him one more time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment