Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Art of Appreciation

"Horse Skull with White Rose" by Georgia O'Keeffe


Every once in a while I take a moment to peruse a few pieces of art. I always always seem to come back to Georgia O'Keeffe's work though. Perhaps it's because a long time ago while I was just in Jr. High I wrote a report  about her.  She's actually quite fascinating, though admittedly my taste in art has since changed from those early days, but I still pay homage you could say to the woman who inspired me to start digging in the first place. 

Even if you don't like art or find any interest in it, the world is filled with unknown artists who with any luck will maybe make a mere $50 off of their work over the course of their lifetime. Many of which are completely at peace with this as they don't pour over their art for the money it's for the peace of mind, the love, the passion of which drives them to create.  I envy these artists. The ones who create out of passion. 

I wish I had that passion in life. For something, anything really, I'm always craving something of the creative space, but I try and I fail, or in my own eyes at least. I cannot commit I suppose. So I'm thankful to, at the very least, rest in a place of appreciation for those who can create.  Go do some digging and find something that moves you. Maybe you love O'Keeffe, or Van Gogh, but why not look into the lesser knowns such as Lewis Carroll or that kid you saw doodling on his notebook every day in class. Look, learn, investigate, feel, devour, and appreciate art.  

No comments:

Post a Comment